A plant from Australia.

Dianella tasmanica
The phone is ringing. "Hello Hetty, I am dividing a plant from the garden of T. Do you want a part of it?" A plant from the garden of T ……? Interesting, T. always had unusual plants in her garden. I scribble the name of the plant on today’s newspaper: Dianella tasmanica.

Tasmanica ....., that plant must be from Tasmania originally. Imagine a plant from Down Under in my garden! I search the Internet for an image. Dianella tasmanica appears to flower very beautifully! I jump into my car and hurry to the woman who phoned me.

The plant has leathery strap-like leaves with a fine toothed edge. It is immediately visible this plant comes from a different continent. It probably is not winter hardy and it will take ages before it starts flowering, but I will try. Delightedly I go back home.

I plant the Dianella in a pot and choose the sunniest spot for it. In my mind I can already see it flourish against the white wall of our house.

After finishing the job, I enter the living room. My husband is reading the newspaper. I tell him enthusiastically about my new plant from Australia. How I got it and how beautiful it will bloom .... if ever….

From behind the newspaper he remarks: "A Dianella tasmanica I guess?"

(.... !!!!! ???)

News paper with the name of the plant. 
Dianella tasmanica
Dianella tasmanica in a pot. 
Dianella tasmanica leaf
Dianella tasmanica leaf.


Comments