White tulips for naturalizing.




Now spring is there, there is so much to write about! The botanical tulips I planted last autumn bloom profusely.

This creamy white tulip is called Tulipa turkestanica. It is the first tulip that flowers in my garden. Each stem has at least five flowers. As the sun shines the small flowers fully open. They look like stars! Tulipa turkestanica is a great tulip for naturalizing. With a little luck, the tulips will come back year after year.

For a change, I have planted this tulip in a pot. I combined T. turkestanica with Tulip ‘Concerto’. T. ‘Concerto’ is a larger tulip but has exactly the same colour and is flowering exactly at the same time as T. turkestanica. This contrast of large and small tulips is a top combination! After T. turkestanica has finished flowering, - as a bonus - nice seedpods appear.

I wonder whether the tulips will be naturalising in a pot. By way of experiment I will let the tulips mortify in the pots and we will see what happens next year.

No doubt, it is better to plant these botanical tulips in the soil. Use approximately 15-30 per m2. The bulbs are small, so the planting is easily done. And you don’t have to bother about the price either. The devastating sum of 13 Euros for 150 bulbs (2015) appeared on the invoice of my bulb supplier Jan Deen.

So why not ordering this tulip in autumn? Look at these pictures.

Who will not fall for this “natural” beauty?


romantischerozentuin


Tulipa turkestanica and Tulipa' Concerto'.


The flowers look like stars.


It is starting....


The outside of the petals look a little green-grayish.


T. turkestanica and T. 'Concerto'. Together in a pot.


At the front  tulipa 'Concerto'. 


Close up T. turkestanica in flower.


I have filled four pots. (I am greedy.)


Spring has arrived!

New followers a warm welcome.


Comments

  1. wonderful tulips.Great macro-shots.
    best
    susa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hetty, combining T. turkestanica with Tulip ‘Concerto’ was a genius idea! They look so beautiful together in the containers! I am not familiar with T. turkestanica, but there is something so charming about this little fellow that just makes me smile.
    Wishing you wonderful spring days!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're gorgeous!
    I've never had luck growing tulips where I live. Every photo I see of the fields of tulips in the Netherlands is breathtaking. I hope you don't mind if I'm just a little bit jealous?
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/04/this-is-what-hope-looks-like.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, så vackert med alla vita blommor! Trevlig helg! /Lotta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautyful flowers! Have a nice weekend!/Gela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tulips.
    Have a nice weekend/Marika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so many beautiful captures of my absolute favorite Tulip! Hope mine will bloom soon. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Jannicke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wunderschöne weiße Tulpen....
    der Frühling ist so schön.
    Liebe Grüße, Karin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment