Monday, 13 June 2016

Blanchefleur, the hundred-leaved rose.



In the 17th century, Dutch breeders developed many roses. These roses are generally known as Rosa centifolia; the hundred leaved rose. In those days, the stuffed roses were very popular and were often portrayed on impressive flower still lives.

A hundred leaved rose, how romantic I thought. I remember how we used to tear off the petals of a daisy; he loves me .... he loves me not .... he loves me ... With a hundred leaved rose that will take some time!

I tell my husband about the tearing off rose petals, but he has a very mathematic approach to this issue. "Hundred, is an even number," he says, "When you start with:  he loves me, then you end up with, he loves me not."

That is too practical for me. I’d rather go for the romantic approach. I pick a rose from the shrub Blanchefleur. Gently I start.

I love you…..
Because of your sweet scent of roses

I do not love you…..
For your brown flowers, after heavy rainfall.

I love you…..
Unconstrained shrub.

I do not love you .....
For your wild branches that sometimes afflict other flowers.

I love you..
With your double flowers in soft pastels.

I do not love you…..
For the fact that you flower only once.

I love you.....
Sweet rose, with that old-fashioned look.

I do not love you…..
You with your vicious thorns that prick me.

I love you…..
I do not love you…..

Finally I'm at the last petal….

Blanchefleur ..... Of course I love you!


The garden is opened to the public June 24 and 25 see link below.


romantischerozentuin



'Blanchefleur'


The hundred-leaved rose.


Of course I love you!


In the garden. Sweet scent.


Together with clematis 'Durandii'


I also made a flower still live....


...Look at that in my kitchen!


Detail of old painting of Jan Huysum. At the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam


The whole painting. It is much more exuberant! 








6 comments:

  1. beautiful roses. I love the colour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hetty, what a wonderful homage to Blancefleur, and she totally deserves it! Love your bouquet, so incredible pretty. The painting of Jan Huysum is absolutely wonderful. Wishing you a wonderful day!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful images. That is the most unusual rose I have ever seen. Have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your arrangement with the petals on the table. Here we can do the same thing with peonies just now. In this part of Canada, roses will open only in a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love the flowers. I am so envious, wish I could grow them. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pics of a Gorgeous Rose!!
    Greetings from Sweden

    ReplyDelete