Garden trip to England, spring 2015.



After a busy period in the garden I have booked a bus trip to Kent / Sussex (England). Nothing to worry about, just sit and relax; the bus will get you there.

Telling you about all the gardens we visited, would be too much, so I will only talk you about the one that struck me the most. It is High Beeches, a spring garden near Crawly, Sussex.

You arrived on the highest point of the garden and this will give you a splendid view over the garden. From there you are able to see the sloping countryside and in the distance you can see the bright colours of the azaleas. 

There are many grass paths across the garden. Each path has a view on water, or beautiful coloured rhododendrons and azaleas. I wandered through the garden; at every crossroad you will have to make up your mind which path to choose. Many times I hesitated, because every path looked tempting to me.

Azaleas and rhododendron mingle with other shrubs and trees. This makes this garden very attractive. Above all it felt tranquil. It made me wanting to lie down in the grass for some time and just daydream. Can you do that in an English garden? I thought not.

Under the trees was a host of thousands bluebells flowering. It looked like a blue fog under the trees. I could not stop photographing these bluebells and I like to shear some of the photos with you. It was just magical.

And did you buy some plants on this trip, I hear you thinking. But no azaleas or rhododendrons for me! These simply do not grow in my clay soil.

Something else than? O yes at Wakehurst Place Garden, I bought me a garden fork I had been wanting for over a year. Also at Sissinghurst Castle Gardens a yellow Verbascum (mullein) and at Savill Garden I bought me a Cirsium (a dark thistle). Of course I could not resist a small bag of bluebell seeds.

Of course coming back from a garden trip and not have bought anything is really not an option!



Sloping country side at High Beeches.


Azalea's together with other shrubs. 


I loved the colours.


Beautiful rododendrons.


Many times I hesitated, because every path looked tempting to me. 


Views.


And more views!


Under the trees, bluebells.


It looked like a blue fog under the trees. 


It was magical.



My new garden fork and Verbascum.

Thanks for hosting Hakan and bland rosor och bladloss

Comments

  1. Dear Hetty, how wonderful that you could go to England and visit gardens. I so fondly remember our trips to England and how happy I always felt, just being there.
    I have never visited High Beeches, but this is certainly an extraordinary garden. Your photos are just magical. The azaleas and rhododendrons are unbelievable colorful and opulent and the English Bluebells, oh my gosh, just lovely. I am so glad you got to see this with your own eyes and that you are sharing this great garden with us on the internet.
    Hope you enjoy your souvenirs: Every gardener loves good tools and verbascums are wonderful plants!
    Wishing you a nice week!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love your photos of the azaleas and rhododendrons. And such a beutiful garden. Was in England in May ten years ago and would love to go back again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just lovely colors that you captured. I would end up spending way too much time there going down all the paths!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Hetty,

    Your photos are absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Hetty,

    What a lovely trip visiting gardens in England and loved seeing your gorgeous photos - love the pretty bluebells and the azaleas and rhododendrons.
    Nice that you were able to come back with a few plants and love the fork
    happy new week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment