Monday, 24 March 2014

No roses without aphids.


The roses in my garden are responding enormously to the sunny spring weather. Alas all those fresh green leaves are immediately covered with aphids. Fortunately I know an effective method to combat them.

In the early years of my garden career I had no green fingers at all. Therefore I asked my grandfather a tip how to combat aphids.

"Aphids?" My grandfather said: "You only have to be sure you catch the first one.” What kind of advice was that? A little confused, I went home. Catch the first aphid? There were thousands of them! As always I started spraying with a mix of alcohol and soapy water to get rid of them.

Because I am not a very patient garden woman however, after some time I stopped making soapy mixtures to combat aphids. As the garden progressed I simply did not have enough time to go on with that method. Nowadays, if I see aphids during my daily tour through the garden, I simply squeeze them between thumb and forefinger. By doing so you will have the plague under control within a week.

The other day I suddenly realized that that was exactly what my grandfather told me to do.   "Catch the first aphid".

I have been doing this for many years now. And is that not a very organic and eco way to combat aphids? Of course I am also helped a lot by the ladybugs, the great tits and the wasps. Those animals love aphids for lunch.

As I tell this story to the visitors of my garden they really are horrified. But I do not care because it works.

And pinching aphids, that’s what gives you really green fingers!

                                    Information about my garden click here:


Summer, Rosa Fatin Latour, without aphids. 

dutch-garden-stories.blogspot.nl
Spring. Fresh leaves. Rosa Marie Pavic.

Dew on rose leaves

Aphids on a rose.

Help is on its way! Ladybug.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I use to squeze them between my fingers. But sometimes there are too many...
    Then I have to use some spray, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete