"The sad flower syndrome".



I have come to the conclusion that I suffer from the "sad flower syndrome". This syndrome applies to someone - like myself - who always keeps the last remaining displayable flower from a bouquet, a blown off rose or a bruised daffodil in a vase. I think these flowers are sad.

Although the flowers are in a vase, these vases with flowers are not that aesthetic. Tall flowers are placed in too small a vase and more often than not the colours do not match. I could not be bothered. I keep the vast majority of these "flower arrangements" next to my computer. Out of sight!

So far, nothing special. I think many of you gardeners will recognize this syndrome. But hold on, it is getting worse.

Last week I went to the market. At the greengrocer, I saw heads of lettuce with the roots still on them. The idea behind this is that lettuce stays fresh for a longer period. (I personally think it is kind of laziness of the grower) Anyway, I felt an uncontrollable urge to buy and re-plant that lettuce!

And so I am left with two heads of lettuce in my bag. Back home again, I put them in a pot immediately. The plants struggled to start, but after some days the lettuce was growing again. At this moment they are on my kitchen windowsill. Fresh, juicy and saved!

Looking back at this operation I am wondering, do I not only suffer from the "sad flower syndrome" but from the "sad plant syndrome” too?


Maybe it is time to make an appointment with the shrink!





Sad flower next to my computer.


The last remaining flowers of a bouquet.


 Gerbera. They have flowered over two weeks!

Another "arrangement"


At the market. Lettuce with roots on them.


In my kitchen windowsill.


Are we going to eat those "sad plants" as well?








Comments

  1. Dear Hetty, I am very much like you regarding rescuing flowers from the garden, but I haven't rescued a lettuce, yet ;-)! What a great idea to plant it in the urn in your kitchen windowsill. They look stunning, fresh and delicious. I certainly would pick a leave or two for my sandwiches!
    By the way, I don't think that the rescued flowers you put by your computer look sad at all.
    I would wish so much that I could attend your open garden! Please post many, many photos, as I am sure it will be gorgeous!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to chuckle at your diagnosis of "sad flower syndrome". But the lettuce is a thing of beauty - what a neat idea!
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-fight-continues.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the contrary, I think your flowers look quite happy. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He-he! This sounds familiar...
    Beside me is a "bouquet" of one single living narcissus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hetty,

    I think all your flowers look great and nice to have them next to you at the computer.
    Such a great idea with the lettuces and they look wonderful growing on your windowsill.
    Happy Sunday
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment